Background & Experience
I am an experienced Practitoner & Therapeutic Counsellor and have been in private practice for over 10 years in Reading Berkshire. I work one to one with adults over 18 years and aim to offer a comfortable, safe, and non judgmental space for talking therapy.
Lecturer & Tutor
I am an approved Lecturer & Tutor of CPCAB (Counselling & Psychotherapy Central Awarding Body), currently delivering L2 Cerificate Counselling Skills, L3 Certificate Counselling Studies and L4 Diploma Therapeutic Counselling courses at CPTA (Counselling & Psychotherapy Training Academy). I am experienced marking students work and ensuring criterion are meeting expectations and standards for internal and external verification.
I specialise in Eating Disorders and have completed a Master Practitoner Diploma training with the National Centre for Eating Disorders. In addition to my private practice, I have gained 2 years experience working with out-patients suffering from Anorexia, Bulimia and Binge Eating Disorder at Berkshire NHS Trust Eating Disorder Service at Erleigh Road, Reading.
Although I specialize in Eating Disorders and work with issues around food, weight & body image, I’m also experienced in working with people with a wide variety of problems and difficulties including depression, grief, loss and bereavent, self esteem & confidence, anxiety and panic attacks, stress, fears and phobias, childhood trauma and abuse, sleep problems, as well as personal development and general well-being.
My Therapeutic Approach
Therapists differ in their training, orientation and approach. My training is integrative, which means that I work predominantly with a person-centred (working with the here and now) and psychodynamic (working with issues from the past) approaches to counselling. I also work with a solution focused approach and brief therapy using CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy), NLP (Neuro-LInguistic Programming) and Coaching (goal setting and achievement).
However, research shows that the most important element in effective therapy is the relationship between therapist and client. Therefore, I aim to offer you a warm, safe, compassionate and non-judgemental environment which allows you to gain trust in me as your therapist and the therapeutic process. I work closely with you and hope to offer you empathy, understanding, and acceptance which in turn create the conditions for personal growth and change. In the safety of the therapy room, I offer you the opportunity to explore your feelings, fears and anxieties. Together we can work to identify and release any emotional ties that may be linked to your past which may be holding you back. I respect your autonomy at all times and work at your own pace. I would never give you advice or lead you where you don’t want to go. You set the agenda and my role is to facilitate the changes that you want to make.
I offer both brief counselling, which is helpful where immediate help is needed to work through an immediate crisis, overwhelming stress, habits or life transitions such as loss, divorce, career change etc., and long term/open ended therapy for more common and complex mental health issues such as depression, anxiety, trauma and eating disorders.
Just as every client is a unique individual with different set of experiences so are therapists. That’s why I offer you a free consultation, without obligation, for you to get to know me and my approach before you decide whether you feel comfortable and safe to work with me as your therapist.
Continuing Professional Development
I am committed to my own personal and professional development (CPD), and attend many seminars and workshops throughout the year. This demonstrates my commitment to continuing to learn and develop beyond my formal training, in order to develop my skills further and to keep my knowledge up to date. This also ensures that I continue to work safely and effectively.
I also have extensive training and experience in other modalities and I’m a qualified NLP Master Practitioner (looking at language and how it creates our perception of reality) EFT Practitioner (working with energy psychology for healing) and Hypnotherapist (working with the past and unconscious processes). I offer a holistic and client centered therapy which focuses equally on mind and body.
- CBT & Compassion Focused Therapy – Introductory to Advanced Certificate Course – Oxford Cognitive Therapy Centre (OCTC)
- CBT Introductory Certificate Course – Approved by British Psychological Society – SDS Seminars Ltd
- Diploma Therapeutic Counselling – Integrative – CPCAB
- Diploma in Clinical Hypnosis and Hypnotherapy – Royal Berkshire College of Clinical Hypnosis
- Diploma Master Practitioner Eating Disorders & Obesity (Accredited by the British Psychological Society) – National Centre for Eating Disorders
- Certificate in Nutritional Skills for Eating Disorders – National Centre for Eating Disorders
- Certificate Practitioner Skills in Obesity Management – National Centre for Eating Disorders
- Certificate Ericksonian Hypnosis – Think Big Education
- Master Practitioner of Neuro Linguistic Programming (NLP)
- Practitioner Diploma in the Art and Science of Neuro Linguistic Programming & Clean Language – NLP Northeast
- EFT Practitioner Certificate (Level 2) – EFT for Eating Disorders & Addictions – Masha Bennet Certified by the AAMET
- Diploma Personal & Professional Coach – The Coaching Academy (Accredited)
- BA(Hons) Degree in English and American Literature – University of Kent at Canterbury, UK
- British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy (BACP) – Registered Member
- The Association for Professional Hypnosis & Psychotherapy (APHP)- Accredited Member
- General Hypnotherapy Register (GHR & GHSC) – Registered Hypnotherapist
- National Centre for Eating Disorders (NCfED) – Affiliate Member
- National Council for Hypnotherapy (NCH) – Registered Member
- Association for the Advancement of Meridian Energy Techniques
- Complementary & Natural Healthcare Council – CNHC is the UK voluntary regulator for complementary therapists. CNHC was set up with government support to protect the public by providing a UK voluntary register of complementary therapists. CNHC’s register has been approved as an Accredited Register by the Professional Standards Authority for Health and Social Care.
Professional Code of Conduct
I also strive to work to the Codes of Ethics of the professional organisations to which I belong as a member. These are available to view on the following documents and websites:
BACP – British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy
APHP – The Association for Professional Hypnosis and Psychotherapy
GHR – General Hypnotherapy Register
NCH – National Council for Hypnotherapy
AAMET – Assoociation for the Advancement of Meridian Energy Techniques
Quantum Leap Therapy holds a Professional Indemnity & Public Liability Insurance with Holistic Insurance.
What’s the Next Step?
To book your FREE consultation or to find out
how Counselling & Hypnotherapy in Reading Berkshire can help you
Please Call 07846 989439
or send me an email and I’ll get back to you as soon as I can.
I look forward to hearing from you.